Thursday, November 5, 2009

The FIRE Has Been Lit!

I am graduating in April 2010 (SOOOO SOON!!!) and thoughts of what I'm going to do when I'm essentially more free than I've been since I was 5 years old have been going through my head. I've been in school and had a job and had many responsibilities seemingly all the time, and once I've graduated I can do whatever I want. The feeling is so intoxicating! Last year I seriously played with the idea of getting involved with one of several organizations that would take me outside the US for various helping reasons: helping education systems, orphanages, etc. However, the sad news of the BSW program at BYU closing and making my deadline for graduation closer than ever left me with no choise. I had to finish my schooling at BYU in order to graduate in the BSW program. Other things would have to wait.
My life has changed in may ways over the past several years, but the most important changes are inside of me: the knowledge I have gained and the avenues that have been opened up to me have been essential to the recent decisions I am making. I am no longer ignorant to the woes in the country. Many people think that all the problems in the world are outside the US. I’m surprised on an almost daily basis at how ignorant so many people are to the disparity happing in their own back yard. I have been given a gift: a love for people in general, no matter who they are or where they come from; and a STRONG DESIRE to do something, anything, about the knowledge I've gained. Kids in the schools that TFA serves, DESERVE to have a teacher who cares about their future, their lives, and understands the issues going on. When I think about the kids in schools in the US suffering due to no wrong-doing of their own, it breaks my heart. I feel like once you’ve been given certain information, you have a RESPONSIBILITY to do what you can to help. I’ve been made aware of things that go on on our own soil and I have been given a chance to DO something about it.
And so, my application for Teach For America began - a few weeks ago. I waited to see if I'd be lucky enough to get a phone interview, and to my extreme delight, I will be phone-interviewing on Sunday at 4pm. Although I'm very nervous for the interview, I feel like this is a path that will lead me to where God wants me to go, and to become the person God wants me to be.
For those of you who don't know what Teach For America is, I suggest you check it out at their website: teachforamerica.org. Their mission is to close the achievement gap in the US educational system with the help of recently graduated and successfull twenty-somethings. If I am accepted for the job, it will begin in June 2010. It involves an extensive interviewing process, and is extremely selective. However, I feel really good about what I'm doing and I'll just continue to do my best and see where that eventually leads me, whether it be TFA or somewhere else. The first few steps are complete, the fire has been lit, and I'm on my way for an exciting life ahead of me!

4 comments:

Brittany Schmidt said...

That is so awesome. Good luck on your interview. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Greg and Elisha Reese said...

Annette that is AWESOME I'm so excited for you and this new chapter in your life! Love ya!

Denis said...

Its good to hear what's happening! I'm sure you're do fantastic on your interview! Good luck :) Love!

Denis said...

That last one was me by the way...Lisa Marie :)